Wednesday, July 16, 2008

11- Living with a host family: a real first hand experience.

The homestay: a real first hand experience.

Living with a host family in America for two weeks truly authenticated my experience. Through this homestay, I was able to realize what living in America might be like. The experience has really destroyed all the stereotypes about the American daily life that I previously held. In addition, it has given me the opportunity to experience first-hand the real similarities and differences between American and Moroccan lifestyles.

My host family consisted of three members. My host mother, Gail Rowan is a radiological technologist . She is a very kind and compassionate woman. She did not only cook and but she also took me and my roommate on outings, helped us locate people to exchange information about our cultures and, most importantly, had long conversations with us about different topics. I think I learned a lot about attitudes and culture through listening to her talk.
My host father, Bob Rowan, is a Chemist and a piano player. He’s a well mannered man. He immediately accepted me and my roommate as members of his family. He, and all the members of the family, did a lot to expose us to the American culture. I can’t forget the day when they took us to the church. It was an extremely new experience for me. I had never been in a church before. People there were very nice and friendly. They welcomed us and even gave us gifts.
It’s a truism that I did get a little homesick towards the second week of my stay, but whenever I came home from the University, I felt better because my host family welcomed me in a way that made me feel at home.
My host brother, Jeff, is a cheerful and outgoing boy. He’s a produce worker . He was proud to share with us the American culture and lifestyle and he was also interested in learning about our culture. We often went for a walk and played basketball. I will never forget the delicious popsicles that he offered to me every night.
I should not forget the good-natured hairy dog, Nick. He was very pleasant and he straightaway became used to our presence at home.

Thank you Bob,
Thank you Gail,
Thank you Jeff,
for giving me the opportunity to know more about the American way of life. Thank you for helping me to improve my English and to learn the American accent. Thank you for providing me with such a rich menu of unique and truly “American” experience.

No comments: