Friday, July 4, 2008

2- A very long trip

Casablanca - Philadelphia
A very long trip.
New people to know and new culture to discover

I was one of the eight lucky teachers of English as a foreign language at Moroccan public junior high schools who were selected to take part in the Partnership for Teaching (P4T) program, in Delaware, USA.
On June 27, 2008, at 5:29 pm, I took the train to Casablanca Airport. The trip lasted about five hours. When I reached there, I met the other participants. We were seven teachers because one teacher had not been issued a US visa and no one knows why.
On June 28th, at 1:10 am, we flew to Frankfurt Airport. We arrived there at 6:35 am. We were supposed to fly to Philadelphia after four hours, but we were really shocked when we were told that the flight was postponed because of some technical problems and, therefore, we had to wait in the airport for sixteen (yes 16) hours. You can’t imagine how hard it is to spend such a long time in an airport. Frankfurt now isn’t a good word for me.
At 10:45 pm, we left Frankfurt airport and after eight long hours we found ourselves in Philadelphia. It was about three 3:00 pm. We were very happy when we arrived in Philadelphia, but our happiness didn’t last long as no one from the University of Delaware was waiting for us. We spent 5 hours in the airport before we were taken to a hotel in Newark.
We were there at about 8:30. At 11:00, after we rested our bodies and had breakfast we met our host families… New people to know and new culture to discover. I hope the best for me and my friends..

No comments: